Having a baby is magical and truly life-changing, but, it can be quite scary as well. You can read all the baby books in the world, but until you actually start being a parent, you won’t learn how to effectively raise your newborn child.
In order to avoid making mistakes and ensure a healthy and happy family, here are some excellent tips for new parents to help you throughout the most important part of your life:
- Don’t worry about little tasks — Before your baby came, you probably worried each week about laundry, doing the dishes, and doing daily household tasks. Put all that on the back burner now and learn to be present with your baby. When you get a moment and feel like it, then you can go back to your checklist.
- Focus on sleep training — By six to 12 months, most babies will nap twice a day for about an hour or two at a time. If they don’t, this could be a problem for everyone. If your baby isn’t sleeping, neither are you. This can leave you feeling exhausted, confused, frustrated, and overwhelmed. Thankfully, there are baby sleep coaching professionals who can help with sleep training for not just your baby, but for you, as well.
- Don’t be quiet all the time — You don’t have to be quiet while your baby is sleeping. Newborns are used to a little noise. Don’t bounce around the house and yell, but you should be fine watching TV, listening to music, talking, and even doing noisier things like running the vacuum.
- Let your baby lead the way — People love offering advice on how to raise newborns. Unfortunately, their advice often sounds like demands — and rarely ever works. It’s a much better idea to let your baby inform you when he or she is tired or hungry. Your family will learn together and be much happier.
- Take a break whenever necessary — You can’t ignore your child when they are in need, but, if you are feeling angry, overly stressed, or frustrated, take a brief moment to settle down and think things through. This will help you get in a better mindset and you will respond to your baby in a much more helpful way.
If you want to learn more about becoming a better parent and work on sleep training with your newborn baby, give Seattle Sleep Trainer a call today.